How do you ensure your design will work?
His simple answer was this:
“Start with a concept and build around that”
It’s vital to have a good idea of what you want from your home and why you want it before speaking to an extension or loft conversion company. That way their experts can translate your dream home into an achievable reality.
So here’s our must-do list of what to consider when planning a build or loft conversion for your home:
- Planning provisions It’s important to know from the start what if there are limits to the type of work you can have done.Is it a listed building? Are there any building restrictions or is your home in a conservation area?Contact your local council or look on their website to find out what you can and can’t do before your imagination runs too wild. Our design consultants are familiar with all London councils current building regulations, so if in doubt, ask us.
- What is the need? Think about what you need now from your conversion compared to what your future needs will be. It’s a great way to future-proof your design ideas.Do you need live-in space for an Au Pair for the next three years? Or maybe you’re considering working from home.
- Priorities What are your main concerns regarding the build? Is it that you want the work to be eco-friendly, is soundproofing or natural light the bigger concern? Or is it to increase the future resale value?
- Budget Define what your budget is for total build and make sure you’ve allocated funds for decorations, furnishings and snags.How much flexibility is there in the budget? It’s always advisable to have a contingency fund for the unforeseeable. And if everything stays in budget, you’ve got something left in the kitty to treat yourself with.
- Lifestyle Think about how you use your house now and what you want or need from it that you’re not currently getting. How do you live your life and how do you want your house to work around you more efficiently?
- Flexibility You may start out with a clear idea of what you want, but keep an open mind, explore other possibilities that may work better than your initial plans. Always have a Plan B.
Making your loft design a reality
Once you’ve gone through the above list you should have a clearer idea of what you want your loft design to look like.
You need to find a company that you can trust and that will listen to your ideas and your concerns, finding solutions to any problems you have.
Why would you pay money for someone else to manage the process for you? Because we have years of knowledge, experience and expertise, plus we know all the right people:
- Architects Our dedicated team of chartered architects specialise in loft conversions and home extensions. They make it their business to know how come up with innovative designs using your ideas as inspiration.
- Project Managers Having a dedicated project manager on hand means you can relax knowing that they will ensure all safety aspects are covered and that there is someone there to support you through every step of the build.
- Tradesmen Rather than you having to search for hours on end looking for reliable builders, plumbers, electricians etc, we already have established relationships with highly skilled tradesmen who can get the job done and done well.
More importantly though, we’re the ONLY RICS-regulated Chartered Building Company specialising in loft conversions in London.
We also give you a ten year insurance guarantee backed by IWA (Independent Warranty Association) which means that even if Landmark were to cease trading, you’re still covered. You can see a full list of our professional memberships here.
You can’t be expected to be an expert in Loft conversions – that’s why we’re here.
Take advantage of our knowledge and expertise, and we’ll make sure your project runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Contact us today and find out how we can turn your dream loft design into a reality.